Thursday, October 14, 2004

Emergence in Organizations

Emergence became thought of as one of the defining properties of complex systems and over the last twenty years there has been a wide-ranging debate about its nature and causes. However, although emergence may be a defining property of complex systems but it is itself far from easy to define. A more easier(rather complicated) definition is

Emergence is the production of global patterns of behaviour by agents in a complex system interacting according to their own local rules of behaviour, without intending the global patterns of behaviour that come about. In emergence, global patterns cannot be predicted from the local rules of behaviour that produce them. To put it another way, global patterns cannot be reduced to individual behaviour. (Stacey 1996:287)

Designing for Emergence in Organizations is still in its infancy with traditional command and control paradigm widely adopted. Here is a list showing differences between command and control paradigm and emergent paradigm



Command & control paradigm

Emergent paradigm

Keep people in ‘silos’

Build connectivity

Ensure everyone ‘salutes the flag’

Encourage diversity

Manage communication initiatives

Have conversations in corridors

Blame people for failures

Learn from events

Make it clear who’s in charge

Give everyone leadership opportunities

Tell people what to do

Tell people what not to do

Set objectives

Agree clear goals

Keep busy

Wait expectantly


Reference
1. "Emergence in Organizations" by Richard Seel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Chennai, Malaysia

    I was told that one of the most important things you can do to make writing more understandable is to simplify things. With over 10 years of HRD Solutions consulting experience don't expect simplicity from me, I will try and muddle things as much I can. I won't be doing this if not for a strategic blunder by the Indian Air Force. My tryst with Indian Airforce failed as my aptitude for breaking rules outshone military discipline by a humiliating margin. While on a trial bombing run I forgot to press the trigger button three times continuously and was not selected for military missions before or after. Devastated I decided to become a technologist and later a HRD Solutions Consultant. My physical existence is in obscurity as one among 60 million Chennaites. But I have a large digital existence. I can often be found in Blogger, Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook than in my office. Beware as you tread lightly upon my memories, ponderings,musings and thoughts you may find a mind most bizarre. I am currently engaged with SMR HR Technologies. Please feel free to comment on my thoughts.