Friday, October 22, 2004

The Law of Requisite Variety

Coming back to earlier discussions on embracing chaos, here is another lesson from nature!

The Law of Requisite Variety(LRV) : The survival of any system depdends on its capacity to CULTIVATE(not just tolerate!!) variety in its internal structure.

Failure to do so will result in an inability to cope successfully with variety when it is introduced from an external source. For example, fish in a bow can swim, breed, obtain food with minimal effort and remain safe from predators. But as those of us who own a aquarium would know that such fishes are extremely sensitive even to the slightest disturbances. Fish in the sea have to work harder to sustain themselves and cope up with variety, they are subject to many threats. But because they cope with more variation they are more robust when faced with change.

LRV is prevalent in nature. In an Organization's context, this means we not only respect diversity but actually cultivate it to survive!!. In other words Equalibrium is death, Chaos is life!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Chennai, Malaysia

    I was told that one of the most important things you can do to make writing more understandable is to simplify things. With over 10 years of HRD Solutions consulting experience don't expect simplicity from me, I will try and muddle things as much I can. I won't be doing this if not for a strategic blunder by the Indian Air Force. My tryst with Indian Airforce failed as my aptitude for breaking rules outshone military discipline by a humiliating margin. While on a trial bombing run I forgot to press the trigger button three times continuously and was not selected for military missions before or after. Devastated I decided to become a technologist and later a HRD Solutions Consultant. My physical existence is in obscurity as one among 60 million Chennaites. But I have a large digital existence. I can often be found in Blogger, Twitter, Linkedin and Facebook than in my office. Beware as you tread lightly upon my memories, ponderings,musings and thoughts you may find a mind most bizarre. I am currently engaged with SMR HR Technologies. Please feel free to comment on my thoughts.